I wanted to do this post because I am always so curious to know the skin care regimes of others ladies. So I thought I’d share mine. I have been struggling with acne for quite some time now off and on for about 10 years, so, the quest for clear and radiant skin is always on! Nothing cheers me up more than waking up in the morning to a breakout free face! With that said, I have to be very careful how I treat my skin, the products I use, my diet and even how I wear my hair. I have combination skin and have an oily t-zone. What I have learned through the years is that there is no miracle drug, soap, or lotion that will give you perfect skin. It is a process of trial and error. Getting clear skin will be an on-going process in that what you use today might not work for you five years down the line. This is especially true in women because we need to treat our skin delicately as we age and customize our routines to fit our ever changing skin. So here goes-still needs a lot of fine tuning…
1. I always start of with your hair completely pulled back and away from my face. Normally just in a ponytail with a silky headband on.
2. I choose my cleanser. I’m currently alternating between Proactiv’s Step 1 cleanser and a basic sensitive skin hypoallergenic, fragrance free, dye free bar of soap.
a. When I use the Proactiv cleaner I always slightly dampen my skin with lukewarm water before applying . This is important because I have found that too much or too little water will not yield the same cleansing results. I’m careful about not over scrubbing my skin because this will just cause irritation.
b. When I use the basic bar of soap, still dampen my skin first with water, then wet a very soft washcloth(hint-the baby washcloths work best) and rub the bar of soap on the cloth…just enough to work up a lather. And then I softly scrub my skin from the chin up (paying close attention to my problem areas chin and forehead) in circular motions until I have covered my entire face.
(To tell you the truth I am dying to get my hands on a clairsonic…I have heard fantastic reviews about it and I’m currently saving up for one!)
3. Next I rinse off my cleanser and pat my skin dry with a clean dry washcloth(**I use a fresh washcloth every time I wash my face—without fail)
4. While I wait for the water to dry of a little more before applying a moisturizer, I examine my face and decide whether or not I need to apply a mask. Most likely I will apply a face mask up to three times per week, most times its just twice. Currently using Mint julep masque by Helen.
5. Next, I apply my eye cream. I’m currently using say yes to carrots cucumber gel in the mornings and garnier nuctris eye lift at nights.
6. Ok, now on to my moisturizing…I am actually running completely out of the one I have currently been using and will probably be stopping at the drugstore tonight to pick up a new one….going to choose an all natural/organic moisturizer instead of the chemical laden ones I have been using for years. Will have to update you on this one.
7. My last step is to spot treat acne medicine as needed. I alternate between proactive benzoyl peroxide and retin-A cream.