Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

All the rage

Updated Hair Post


So, I finally get what all the rage is about embracing your natural curls.  It’s as if a light bulb flipped on and I was able to see...truly see what I had been missing for so long.  Just to give you a little history, I essentially stumbled into becoming natural(you can check out my video below in a previous post entitled Should I relax my natural hair where I go into more detail about it and also see where my mindset was then compared to right now).  I had no idea that it would take on a life of its own and that I would get so attached to it.  
Last week was the first I had been to a hair salon in about 4 months.  That may not sound long, but it actually was for me, since I had grown so accustomed to going at least every month for the past 4 years for my normal wash & set along with getting my roots blow-dried for a super straight strands. And that all started when I got hip to the Dominican salons(now I’ll have to admit they did me a favor but also a great disservice because I was so ignorant to the damage I was causing to my hair and scalp each time I patronized their business).  I’ll have to save telling you more about those experiences for another day!   As soon and I got home and took a look in the mirror I wanted wash it and get my curly hair back!  I couldn't believe how much I had grown to love my natural hair until I got is straightened.  







Honestly, I want that to be the very last time I ever get my hair THAT straight...not to mention I noticed some heat damage last night when I was doing my braids and the left side of my head’s hair ends were straight, sigh!    From now on, I will be using minimal direct heat and no blow-dryers or flat-irons whatsoever!  I absolutely abhorred how limp and lifeless it had become after being so scorched by a blow-dryer!  Poor curls, they didn’t stand a chance.  I would be completely on board for a semi big chop because I just love freshly cut hair...but my hubby is strongly apposed to it.  I’ll see how long I can wait it out because I really want to whack it off and start fresh.  I have a feeling it may be soon because I am all about strength over length.  All I want is for my hair to be as healthy as possible.   I have learned a lot and I definitely feel that the straightest I will be getting my hair is through my own roller-sets. And, can anyone out there agree that when you know what works best for your hair and someone is doing otherwise it makes you want to take matters into your own hands...as in taking away the comb and showing her how it should be done?!  I am done getting my hair styled by anyone other than yours truly!

No comments:

Post a Comment